Choir of the Year is delighted to be teaming up with abcd on a new element to our Audition programme in 2016: a series of choral Workshops led by an experienced abcd workshop leader.
The Workshops are open to all choirs not already taking part in the competition. Groups of any age group and music style are welcome to apply.
Whilst open to choirs and conductors of all levels of ability, the masterclasses programme is particularly suited to groups whose would like some support and ideas to improve technically and build confidence. Tutors will be happy to offer help with specific topics identified by the music director in advance - such as conducting & rehearsal technique, vocal production, intonation, diction, presentation and style – or provide general feedback through working on prepared repertoire. Choirs are welcome to attend with or without their conductor, and do not have to be represented by their full numbers.
After the Workshop choirs will be invited to stay on for a Choir of the Year audition session free of charge. This will be chance to hear a variety of different choirs, listen to the judges’ feedback and take part in a massed choir vocal workshop.
What to expect
- The day will begin with introductions and warm-ups for the combined choirs.
- Each choir will work with the Workshop leader for up to 25 minutes. This gives choirs the chance to pick up tips from each other in terms of style and performance. Similar to a Choir of the Year audition, choirs will be asked to perform two short pieces of their choice to the wider group. (Choirs should bring their own accompanist if required).
- The Workshop leader will then work with the choir to develop skills and confidence, with the other choirs observing. Feedback can be given publicly or after the Workshop if preferred.
- The Workshop will end with a short Q&A involving all the choirs, the Workshop leader and an abcd representative.
- All choirs are then invited to attend the Choir of the Year audition session and audience workshop in the afternoon (evening in Glasgow).
How to apply
Download the application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed by abcd and Choir of the Year representatives and successful choirs will be notified as soon as possible.
The cost to take part is £60 per choir, payable upon confirmation of a place.
Workshop Dates and Venues
Workshops will take place alongside the Choir of the Year Auditions and involve a maximum of four choirs.
|Sunday 13 March
Saturday 19 March
Sunday 17 April
Sunday 24 April
Sunday 8 May
Sunday 22 May
Saturday 28 May
Saturday 11 June
Sunday 12 June
|Leeds Town Hall
Warwick Arts Centre
The Anvil, Basingstoke
Hall for Cornwall, Truro
Cambridge Corn Exchange
The Sage Gateshead
Glasgow City Halls
Alban Arena, St Albans
A final Workshop will be planned to coincide with the Grand Final in Cardiff on Saturday 3 December.
The Association of British Choral Directors (abcd) is the only UK organisation which is devoted entirely to supporting those leading choral music, both amateur and professional. We are committed to promoting, improving and maintaining opportunities for the professional development of all those leading singing of any kind, whether in the classroom or in the community. Our 800+ members represent nearly 2000 choral groups and include teachers, composers, singers and students, leading singing of all kinds.
Please visit www.abcd.org.uk for further information.